Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Candidates for mayor, city council pick up papers to make it official : Hopefuls must file by Aug. 10


MORGAN HOOVER, NEWS-PRESS CORRESPONDENT

July 14, 2009 7:40 AM

Some Santa Barbara hopefuls for mayor and city council took another step forward Monday, the first day that contenders could acquire the paperwork that will make them official candidates if it is completed and returned to City Hall by Aug. 10.

The first two to arrive to pick up the paperwork were Bob Hansen and Justin Michael.

"I was there at 8 o'clock," said Mr. Hansen, 62. "I would like to be mayor, but it seems like a bit of an impossible dream."

Mr. Michael was also an early-arrival for the occasion.

"I was there at 8 a.m.," he said. "A few months ago I read a story about the mayor's race, and I didn't feel I was being represented. My platform is 'humanitarian first, politician second.'"



Neither of the two candidates feel particularly strongly about a particular political party.

"I'm registering as a Republican for this election," said Mr. Hansen. "but I don't know. I really don't think there's much of a difference between Democrats and Republicans."

Mr. Michael has elected not to run as a Republican or a Democrat.

"I'm bringing all sides to the table as a non-partisan candidate," he said. Quoting Groucho Marx lightheartedly, he added, "I wouldn't be part of any group that would have me as a member."

Helping the homeless is the central plank of Mr. Hansen's platform.

"I want to talk about real solutions to homelessness," he said. "People talk about ending chronic homelessness, but even using the word 'chronic," like, that sounds weird."

Mr. Michael believes he can help get a handle on the economy.

"Let's make Santa Barbara a microcosm for how the economy can be fixed," he said. "I intend to work with strategic economists and the tech venture community."

Others who acquired paperwork to run for mayor of Santa Barbara are Isaac Garrett, Steve Cushman and Santa Barbara City Councilwoman Helene Schneider.

Those who picked up the papers to run for city council are Michael Self, Lane Anderson and John Thyne.

City Councilwoman Iya Falcone has expressed her intention to run for mayor, but she had not yet picked up the appropriate paperwork by the end of business on Monday.

Those who have expressed intent to run for city council but have yet to acquire the paperwork are Dianne Channing, Frank Hotchkiss, Cathie McCammon, John Gibbs, Jr., Grant House, David Pritchett, Justin Tevis, Olivia Uribe and Harwood White.

No comments:

Post a Comment